Volition's Material Editor was created to improve and streamline artist's workflow, removing the requirement of creating materials within 3DS Max. This helped tie creation, iteration and management of material assets more so into Volition's ever evolving proprietary tool chain.
Additionally, the new material pipeline; Material Editor, Shader Editor and supporting tools, offered an unmatched capability and freedom to artists compared to the previous process. Artists now had the ability to create whatever material they could dream off, without the assistance of a graphics programmer.
With the need to better own and evolve our material pipeline, and rely less on 3rd party software and their constant updates, the Material Editor and its supporting pipeline was born.
- Create, iterate and manage material assets.
- Assign default materials to mesh assets.
- Assign game proxy materials to mesh assets (collision, LOD, etc.).
- Create and manage material “outfits” and assign outfits to mesh assets.
- Deep integration and connectivity to the Shader Editor.
- Visualize a project’s entire material library within the material editor itself.